Anichebe plans fitness drive

first_imgVictor Anichebe has revealed he will put himself through a personal boot camp to revive his season. The West Brom striker is ready for a fitness drive during the international break after his injury struggles. He had a hernia operation in September and made his first Barclays Premier League start since August in Sunday’s 2-0 defeat to Newcastle. Anichebe has scored once in eight appearances this term and is desperate to prove his worth at The Hawthorns. “For me it’s very difficult,” said the 26-year-old. “I had niggling injuries here and there and I have just come back from hernia surgery and I had some complications. That’s not an excuse or anything, it’s just normal. “I feel a lot better and hopefully, given the break we’ve got, I can go away, get myself right and come back and help the team.” Press Association The Baggies next go to Chelsea on November 22 and Anichebe is planning to return fighting fit. He said: “For me, over the international break, I need to go away, come back and be as fit as possible. I don’t feel as sharp and fit as I was at the start of the season but that will come. “I came back about a month or six weeks ago from hernia surgery, something which reoccurred after I did it a couple of years ago. “I need to go away, come back and take care of my own body and be fitter than I have been recently. “I have the medical team here, they have helped me a lot and I have guys in America I have worked with a lot. Between the two we have come up with a fitness regime which will help me to get to where I should be. “I will go away and I will do parts to try to get myself ready but I’ll also be with the team. We just need to come back after the international break and be ready for the difficult fixtures ahead of us.” The former Everton starlet has only netted four goals for Albion since his £6million move from the Toffees in September last year. He has also made just 16 starts for the Baggies in over 12-months after struggling with a series of minor injuries. last_img read more

Shafer publicly introduces new coordinators, assistants from past jobs at Northern Illinois, Western Michigan

first_imgScott Shafer reached into his coaching past to build his new staff at Syracuse. The Orange’s new head coach hired coaches who share his football values and philosophies, but also on-field systems and schemes.Shafer introduced the bulk of his staff at a press conference Monday in the Iocolano-Petty Football Wing of Manley Field House. He hired George McDonald as his offensive coordinator and Chuck Bullough as his defensive coordinator. Shafer also named DeAndre Smith as his running backs coach, Tim Lester his quarterbacks coach and Clark Lea his linebackers coach.“It’s great to get the band back together with people that have the same philosophical view on how you develop a young man through this great sport,” Shafer said.McDonald worked with Shafer at Northern Illinois and Western Michigan. McDonald was hired as Arkansas’ wide receivers coach in December after spending two seasons at Miami (Fla.) in the same role, but left the Razorbacks only a few weeks later to join Shafer.“I’ve been chasing this dream for a long time. I’m very excited to be here,” McDonald said. “This has been my dream, to be an offensive coordinator.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textFormer Syracuse offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett left the Orange early this month to join Doug Marrone and the Buffalo Bills, but his system will remain in place. McDonald and Hackett worked together at Stanford and developed a philosophy together on how to learn offense.McDonald said Hackett was in town last night to visit his family, and they had a chance to speak. But McDonald said they’ve always spoken about once a month.While he’ll have a new-look offense with the Orange, McDonald said Hackett brought the assistants here for a reason.“There’s really good wide receivers here, maybe some that nobody knows about. There’s really good quarterbacks here, maybe some that nobody knows about,” McDonald said. “I think this is exciting to me because you actually get to come in on the ground floor and develop a quarterback, develop a receiver.”McDonald said he’ll keep the up-tempo offensive approach, but will also build an offense that’s physical.McDonald also brings a strong recruiting background to Syracuse. With his coaching at Miami, he knows the coveted South Florida area well, a place where the Orange has recruited in the past. McDonald was also named a top-25 recruiter by Rivals.com, and Miami’s Class of 2012 was ranked eighth nationally by ESPN.com.Bullough spent the last two seasons as a defensive assistant with the Cleveland Browns. He was the linebackers coach at UCLA from 2006-2008 and the Bruins’ defensive coordinator in 2009 and 2010.The Bruins’ defense struggled in 2010, giving up an average of 30 points per game in UCLA’s 4-8 season. Rick Neuheisel fired Bullough after the season, and told reporters he wanted the Bruins to use a 3-4 scheme, not Bullough’s 4-3.Bullough was also the linebackers coach at Western Michigan in 2005, when Shafer was the Broncos’ defensive coordinator. He said his defensive scheme will look a lot like the one Shafer has run for the last four seasons.“It’ll be very familiar. We’re both 4-3. We both have the third-down package, it’s going to look very familiar,” Bullough said. “ … It’ll look the same, but there will be little things in there obviously.”Lester, Syracuse’s new quarterbacks coach, spent the last five seasons as the head coach at Division-III Elmhurst College in Illinois. Lester was the quarterbacks coach at Western Michigan in 2005 and 2006.He said Monday he hasn’t seen much of the quarterbacks already on the roster, but is planning on calling Hackett to get more information about them.One of Lester’s first tasks will be to develop the Orange’s next starting quarterback, with Ryan Nassib graduating after a record-breaking season.“Playing a first-time starter is not easy, but it can be done. It can be done successfully. You see it in the NFL, you see it in college,” Lester said. “I’m excited to get to work with those guys physically and mentally as soon as we get done with recruiting.”Shafer and his new coaches have been on the road recruiting, which will wrap up with signing day Feb. 6. They’ll get to know their players better after that, and perhaps most importantly, learn the Atlantic Coast Conference.“Obviously, going into the ACC, we’re going to have our work cut out for us,” Bullough said, “but we’re going to be ready for that.” Comments Published on January 22, 2013 at 2:00 am Contact Chris: cjiseman@syr.edu | @chris_iseman Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Case adjourned of man who ‘became very awkward’ after ‘violent altercation’

first_imgA Judge has ordered a probation report for a Newtowncunningham man, who had to be restrained and resisted arrest after giving Gardai a false name.20-year-old Scott Magee, of 1 Coill Na Ros, Newtowncunningham was before Letterkenny District Court charged with an offence on 17 March, 2017. Inspector Sean Grant told the Court that Magee was observed in a ‘violent altercation’ at 2.50am.“He had to be restrained and he restricted the use of his arms to Garda Marron,” Inspector Grant said, adding that Magee was ‘slurring his words’.Magee, the Court heard, became ‘awkward to deal with’. When cautioned, Magee gave Gardai a false name and address, but officers noticed that he had been called ‘Scotty’ by others in the vicinity.Magee is charged with using threatening, abusive, insulting behaviour, refusing to give his name and address and of obstructing a peace officer.Solicitor for Magee, Gordon Curley, said his client was ‘in a very bad period of his life’ at the time.“It culminated in drinking quite heavily for a period of time,” Mr Curley said.“He has been able to rectify a lot of matters that were going on and he is out the other side.”Mr Curley said his client does not ‘over indulge in alcohol and is due to commence employment in Scotland in a couple of weeks.Judge Paul Kelly adjourned the matter until May 14 next.Case adjourned of man who ‘became very awkward’ after ‘violent altercation’ was last modified: April 15th, 2018 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Gordon CurleyJudge Paul KellyLetterkenny District CourtNewtowncunninghamScott Mageelast_img read more