After Balanced Budget with Sustainable Revenues, Moody’s Revises Commonwealth Outlook to Stable

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf August 09, 2016 Economy,  Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today announced that Moody’s Investor Service has revised Pennsylvania’s outlook to stable from negative. This follows the final enactment of the commonwealth’s 2016-17 budget that is balanced and includes sustainable, recurring revenue.“The 2016-17 budget was an important step forward, and Moody’s revision of Pennsylvania’s outlook to stable from negative reflects that fact,” said Governor Wolf. “Working with Republicans and Democrats in the legislature, we completed a budget that is balanced and includes sustainable, recurring revenue. When I came into office, following years of unbalanced budgets, the commonwealth faced a structural deficit of more than $2 billion. Now, we have made significant progress in reducing the deficit, but we still have more to do and I look forward to continuing to work with the legislature to fix the commonwealth’s deficit.”Moody’s said the following:“Moody’s Investors Service has revised the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s outlook to stable from negative… Still, the 2017 budget fight represents some improvement: the legislature and governor agreed on a budget, and a government that had been unable to pass new revenues in 2016 was able to do so in 2017.”For the entire report from Moody’s, see below: After Balanced Budget with Sustainable Revenues, Moody’s Revises Commonwealth Outlook to Stablelast_img read more

Kiss puts faith in youth

first_img Press Association Ireland interim coach Les Kiss has handed debuts to Robbie Henshaw and Stuart Olding for the match against the United States Eagles – with three new faces ready to win their first caps off the bench. The Australian has put his faith in youth by making Connacht youngster Henshaw a full international at 19, meaning he becomes the fourth teenager to play for Ireland in the professional age after Gordon D’Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald and Rhys Ruddock. Kiss has opted for Leinster fly-half Ian Madigan ahead of Ulster’s Paddy Jackson in Saturday’s Houston contest, with the 24-year-old making his first start in the number 10 jersey for his province. center_img Olding, meanwhile, is handed his first cap after just 15 appearances for Ulster and is just three months older than Henshaw. The Belfast Harlequins man finished the season “like a train” according to Kiss, who hands over the reins to Joe Schmidt at the end of this tour to the USA and Canada. The New Zealander arrives in Houston on Friday night and will watch from the stands at the BBVA Compass Stadium as Ireland take on a United States side with all their available big guns in the starting line-up. Coach Mike Tolkin includes Saracens’ Chris Wyles at full-back, while Northampton’s Samu Manoa is joined by Stade Francais’ Scott Lavalla and captain Todd Clever in a formidable back-row. Kiss expects a physical game from the Americans, who will fancy their chances against an Irish side with just 115 caps between them. He said: “We’ve watched upwards of six or seven games they’ve played. One recently and the rest more than a year ago. “They’re an impressive side over the last six or seven games. Mike Tolkin has come in and expanded on what Eddie was doing and there is a lot to like about the physicality of their game. They have got players like Todd Clever, Samu Manoa, (Louis) Stanfill, who is a handy lock, and Lavalla. They’re physical characters.” Ireland team: R Henshaw (Connacht); F McFadden (Leinster), D Cave (Ulster), S Olding (Ulster), S Zebo (Munster); I Madigan (Leinster), I Boss (Leinster); D Kilcoyne (Munster), R Strauss (Leinster), M Ross (Leinster); M McCarthy (Leinster), D Toner (Leinster); I Henderson (Ulster), C Henry (Ulster), P O’Mahony (captain, Munster). Replacements: M Sherry (Munster), J Hagan (London Irish), T Court (Ulster), D Tuohy (Ulster), T O’Donnell (Munster), P Marshall (Ulster), P Jackson (Ulster), F Jones (Munster). last_img read more

Sean Newcomb apologizes for racist and homophobic tweets posted as a teen

first_img“We are aware of the tweets that surfaced after today’s game and have spoken to Sean, who is incredibly remorseful,” the Braves said in a statement posted on Twitter. “Regardless of how long ago he posted them, he is aware of the insensitivity and is taking full responsibility.” Whicker: Dustin May yet another example of the Dodgers’ eye for pitching ATLANTA — Atlanta Braves pitcher Sean Newcomb apologized Sunday for racist, homophobic and sexist tweets he sent as a teenager, calling them “some stupid stuff.”“I definitely regret it, for sure,” he said.Newcomb, 25, spoke less than an hour after nearly pitching a no-hitter against the Los Angeles Dodgers. The tweets were sent in 2011 and 2012.“I just wanted to apologize for any insensitive material,” Newcomb said. “It was a long time ago, six or seven years ago, saying some stupid stuff with friends.” “We find the tweets hurtful and incredibly disappointing and even though he was 18 or 19 years old when posted, it doesn’t make them any less tolerable. We will work together with Sean towards mending the wounds created in our community,” the team said.Atlanta’s clubhouse had already closed to the media after he answered questions about his career-best moment, a 4-1 victory in which he came within one strike of pitching a no-hitter. Chris Taylor broke up the bid with two out single in the ninth inning.Related Articles Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Newcomb said he had forgotten about the tweets until he picked up his phone postgame and saw mentions of the posts. The Braves reopened the locker room about 30 minutes later — Newcomb said it was his idea for a team official to bring reporters back downstairs so he could address the subject.“This is something obviously that can’t be happening,” he said. “I feel bad about it. I don’t mean to offend anybody. It was six, seven years ago. I didn’t mean anything by it and I definitely regret it, for sure.”Newcomb said he doesn’t think the tweets will cause fallout among current teammates.“No, I don’t think so,” he said. “I think people that know me know that’s not the kind of person I am. It’s been a long time since then and at the same time I didn’t mean anything by it.”Sign up for our Inside the Dodgers newsletter. Be the best Dodger fan you can be by getting daily intel on your favorite team. Subscribe here. “I know I’ve grown a lot since then. I didn’t mean anything by it. It was just something stupid I did a long time ago and I didn’t mean anything by it, for sure,” he said.Major League Baseball dealt with a similar situation this month involving Milwaukee Brewers reliever Josh Hader on the night he pitched in the All-Star Game.“Such inappropriate comments have no place in our game. We are aware of this serious issue, Billy Bean will meet with Mr. Newcomb this week, and we will identify an appropriate course of diversity training for him in the Atlanta community,” MLB said in a statement.Bean is MLB’s vice president for social responsibility and inclusion. He is a former big league outfielder and openly gay.Hader apologized after offensive tweets sent when he was a teen came to light on July 17. The next day, MLB said the 24-year-old Hader will be required to go through sensitivity training and participate in diversity and inclusion initiatives. Hader also met with Bean. Dodgers’ Dave Roberts says baseball’s unwritten rules ‘have changed, should change’ Dodgers’ Justin Turner looking rejuvenated on defense Dodgers’ hot-hitting Corey Seager leaves game with back injury Dodgers bench slumping Cody Bellinger for a day last_img read more