Bosnia coach changes mind on resignation, stays in charge

first_imgRelatedPosts Quadri Aruna leads Africa to World Cup I will see out my contract at Arsenal, Oezil says FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers postponed Bosnia coach Robert Prosinecki has rescinded the decision to resign after the Balkan nation’s football association asked him to stay in charge of the team, the governing body has said. “The NFSBiH executive board lends full support to Prosinecki to stay in charge until the end of the national team’s Euro 2020 campaign, as stipulated by his contract,” it said on Tuesday. “We are certain that changing the coach at this point in time will not have a positive effect. Our chances of reaching the European Championship via the qualifiers are still realistic.” Prosinecki had said he was stepping down after Sunday’s 4-2 defeat at Armenia in their Euro 2020 Group J qualifier. He however told reporters in Sarajevo that his change of heart had been a “difficult decision”. “It wasn’t easy because I try to stand by my decisions in life,” said the 50-year-old Croatian, who won the 1991 European Cup with Red Star Belgrade and finished third with Croatia in the 1998 World Cup as a player. “I changed my mind because of all the people who extended their support. It will be easy to run and say it’s over, but I decided to stay and I now hope we can turn things around.” The defeat left the Bosnians fourth in Group J on seven points from six games, 11 behind leaders Italy who have won all of their matches. Second-placed Finland have 12 points and third-placed Armenia are on nine after their impressive home win over the Bosnians. Although they have only a slim chance of reaching Euro 2020 by finishing in the top two in their group, Bosnia could still advance to the finals via the Nations League. They topped their League B group ahead of Austria and Northern Ireland. This means that they have qualified for the playoffs also including Denmark, Sweden and Ukraine, the winners of the second tier’s other three pools. The playoff winners will qualify for Euro 2020, which will be held across Europe next year. Reuters/NAN.Tags: Euro 2020European ChampionshipRed Star BelgradeRobert ProsineckiWorld Cuplast_img read more

Jamaicans Urged to Report Returnees who Breach Quarantine Orders

first_imgShe noted that elderly family members and those with chronic diseases could have poor outcomes if they become infected with COVID-19. Bisasor-McKenzie noted that all returning Jamaicans, whether they are high- or low-risk, are given a 14-day quarantine order and are required to contact the health authority immediately, if they develop a fever or any respiratory symptoms during the 14- day period. All Jamaicans who have returned to the island, will undergo health screening on arrival and if determined to be high-risk, will be required to do a COVID-19 test at a local health centre. Persons have a duty to stay home and you also have a duty to report it,” she said. The CMO, who was speaking at the Ministry of Health and Wellness’ weekly virtual COVID Conversations press briefing, held recently, said that everyone is “duty-bound” to report when a returnee breaches quarantine or becomes ill. Bisasor-McKenzie emphasised that it is an offence for any individual to leave their home within the 14-day period once they have been placed under a quarantine order. In the meantime, Dr. Bisasor-McKenzie pointed out that Jamaica is now moving away from testing all incoming passengers and will only be testing those who are deemed to be high-risk. “A negative test can become positive a day or two days later, so you must monitor yourself, and everybody in the family must monitor the person who has returned.” “At any time during those 14 days, even if you have done a test or if you are waiting on a result, you can develop symptoms. We have seen in the past few days, weeks, where we’ve had persons who have had a test and have developed symptoms within a 24 to 48-hour period and have not reported it, and during that period of time, when they should have been in quarantine, would have infected other members of their household,” Dr. Bisasor-McKenzie said.center_img KINGSTON, Jamaica – Chief Medical Officer (CMO), Dr. Jacquiline Bisasor-McKenzie, is encouraging citizens to report persons who have returned to the island and are not complying with the quarantine orders. “If we are going to keep Jamaica safe from COVID-19 and keep the number of cases below the numbers that our health system can manage, then every single soul has a responsibility to report as soon as somebody becomes sick and to ensure that all the persons who are returning from travel stay at home for the designated-period,” she said. “People in the community must monitor persons that they know have returned from travels, persons in the business place must monitor if they know that somebody has come in and is there in their office. They have a duty to say to the person, ‘you need to stay home’. “At any point in time, if you develop symptoms, you are asked to report it so that you can protect your family members,” the CMO added. “It is not that there is no risk, because everyone that has come from a country where there is the transmission of COVID-19 presents a risk,” she said, noting that what is most important is the monitoring during the 14 days that could be an incubation period for the disease. Persons, who return a positive test, will be required to isolate, while those who test negative will remain in quarantine until the 14-day period has ended. CMClast_img read more

Joy Sports EPL buildup: the Ghana flavour is here!

first_imgThere will at least be four Ghana internationals competing for honours in the English Premier League in the coming season. All four players including the recently-signed Ayew brothers will be playing for different teams.Attacking midfielder Andre Ayew is new to the EPL after only joining Swansea City this summer, after leaving French Ligue 1 side Olympique Marseille. The 25-year-old might not have played in England before, but he is considered the Welsh club’s biggest signing of the summer and would be expected to play a big role in his debut campaign.Winger Christian Atsu will be featuring for newly-promoted AFC Bournemouth where he is on a one-year loan from Chelsea. It will be the 2015 Nations Cup best player\’s second straight season on loan in the EPL after an underwhelming campaign with Everton last season.Perhaps the most tried and tested of the lot in English football is Jeffrey Schlupp. The 22-year-old wing-back, who won Leicester City’s best young player award last season, as well as the players’ player award, is likely to play a big role for the same club in the new campaign. Also expected to be thrown into the deep end is his younger brother Jordan Ayew who became the latest to join the English train. The young striker joined Aston Villa in a five-year contract this week from French Ligue 1 side FC Lorient.Striker Kwesi Appiah is another who is no stranger to the English game, but it is unclear whether the 24-year-old will make his club Crystal Palace’s squad for the season. He has never really managed to establish himself in the club\’s first team, and spent much of the time since joining Palace in 2012 on loan to other clubs.A sixth player, Bernard Mensah (not the Black Stars winger who has the same name), is another whose future is uncertain. The England-born 20-year-old forward rejoined newly-promoted Watford after a loan spell at a fifth-tier side Braintree last season. –Follow Gary on Twitter: @garyalsmith. Get more updates on Facebook/Twitter with the #JoySports hashtag. Join the ”ª#‎JoySports”¬ EPL coverage on-air with our daily bulletins and weekend shows, as well as rolling online updates.last_img read more