Dish Network to pay $125,000 for sending misleading letters to customers

first_imgDISH Network, LLC will pay the State of Vermont $125,000 to resolve the Attorney General’s claims that it violated Vermont’s Consumer Fraud Act in mailings to consumers last summer. ‘Words like ‘urgent‟ ‘immediately‟ ‘necessary‟ and ‘free’ have significant meanings,’ said Attorney General William H Sorrell. ‘Using such language to trigger unnecessary action by Vermont consumers won’t be tolerated.’In July 2010, DISH sent 310 letters to Vermont consumers. The letter included headings stating: ‘URGENT ACTION REQUIRED’ and ‘PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY TO AVOID SERVICE INTERRUPTION OF YOUR HIGH DEFINITION PROGRAMMING.’ The letter further claimed that replacement of consumer equipment was ‘necessary’ and ‘free.’In the settlement agreement, DISH admitted that no immediate equipment upgrade was necessary. Additionally, some consumers who responded to the mailing were required to enter into a 24-month contract with DISH before they received the upgrade. In the complaint, the Attorney General alleged that this conduct violated the Vermont Consumer Fraud Act’s prohibition on unfair and deceptive acts in commerce.DISH later informed customers who entered into the 24-month contract that they did not need to do so and has neither enforced any contract commitment nor charged customers to receive the upgrade.Attorney General Sorrell noted his appreciation for a recipient of the letter who brought it to the attention of the Consumer Assistance Program.‘Alert Vermonters help us identify potential consumer protection problems early on,’ said Attorney General Sorrell. ‘This case should remind us all to pay attention to claims made in mailings and advertisements of all types – what is promised is not always what is sold.’This settlement is the second in just over two years between the State and DISH. In July 2009, as part of a $5.9 million settlement with 45 states, Vermont also received $125,000 from DISH. That settlement required DISH to make customer refunds and changes in its business practices.last_img read more

Crystal Palace, West Ham postpone Australian tour

first_imgRelatedPosts EPL: Crystal Palace stun sloppy Man U EPL: Gunners gun for West Ham scalp EPL: Red Devils attack Palace The inaugural Queensland Champions Cup featuring Premier League outfits Crystal Palace and West Ham United scheduled for July has been postponed due to the coronavirus.But organisers are hopeful the round robin tournament – also featuring Robbie Fowler-coached A-League outfit Brisbane Roar – can be held in 2021. The Roar had been set to host Palace in Townsville on July 11 and West Ham on the Gold Coast four days later before the Premier League outfits clashed in Brisbane on July 18.However, uncertainty caused by the pandemic has forced cup organisers to find another date.“It is a real shame that we will no longer be able to make it over to Queensland this summer, however, it is the right decision to postpone given the circumstances,” West Ham manager David Moyes said.“We hope the tournament can be rearranged at a later date once things are back to normal, and we look forward to visiting Australia in the future.”Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish said the club would do everything it could to play in Queensland next year. “It is bitterly disappointing not to be able to make the club’s landmark trip to Queensland this July for everyone here at the club,” he said.“We will do everything we possibly can to try to rearrange the tour for 2021, once things become clear with the Premier League schedule for the remainder of this season, and next year’s provisional timings too.”Roar CEO David Pourre said Brisbane “still look forward to welcoming two of England’s most historic clubs to Queensland at a later date.”Tags: Crystal PalaceDavid MoyesQueensland Champions CupWest Ham Unitedlast_img read more

NPFL: Rivers Utd Aiming to Return to Winning Ways against ABS…

first_imgFemi Solaja with agency reportRivers United will face ABS FC in a rescheduled Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) game this afternoon in Port Harcourt.United have underwhelmed this season and need a win against the newly-promoted side to get their campaign back on track.ABS FC come into the game on the back of a 0-2 reverse to Abia Warriors in Umuahia last Sunday and will be looking to bounce back with a positive result in Port Harcourt.Technical adviser of ABS, Henry Makinwa knows there is a need to produce a positive response particularly as ABS have yet to win in their last five NPFL matches. “My expectations are that we are going to win; we want to win. “Our ambition is to win all games if it’s possible. “Tomorrow (Thursday) is one of the games and we are going to give our best to win the game,” he told the club’s official website, www.riversunitedfc.com.ng. United are also desperate for a win and Technical Manager, Stanley Eguma, is eager to see his side return to winning ways against plucky opposition.“We are really preparing for the game (against ABS because) at this stage we need good results.“We need to win, especially at home; our position on the log is low and we really need to get these three points to start moving up. “I know ABS is a very strong, young and energetic team; they have a lot of youthful players and can cause an upset on Thursday. “We have to work very hard and not take them for granted. “We have to work hard, put our acts together and secure all three points against ABS; that’s our mission now,” Eguma said.Meanwhile, there is happier news from the infirmary for Rivers United as right back Chigozie Ihunda is nearing a return to action following a long-term injury.Ihunda injured his left knee in United’s 1-0 win over Warri Wolves in an NPFL game decided at the Warri City Stadium on May 8, 2016.The versatile footballer subsequently underwent keyhole and open surgeries in Delhi, India, on December 26, 2016 to repair the damage.He was given a timeline of six months for return to active competition and his recovery is already ahead of schedule, according to Head of the Rivers United FC medical unit, Dr Chukwuemeka Agi.“Ihunda has been undergoing physiotherapy and is already walking without the aid of crutches.“We expect him to be back in action by June this year but it could be earlier depending on how things progress,” he said. Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more