RelatedPosts Quadri Aruna leads Africa to World Cup I will see out my contract at Arsenal, Oezil says FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers postponed Bosnia coach Robert Prosinecki has rescinded the decision to resign after the Balkan nation’s football association asked him to stay in charge of the team, the governing body has said. “The NFSBiH executive board lends full support to Prosinecki to stay in charge until the end of the national team’s Euro 2020 campaign, as stipulated by his contract,” it said on Tuesday. “We are certain that changing the coach at this point in time will not have a positive effect. Our chances of reaching the European Championship via the qualifiers are still realistic.” Prosinecki had said he was stepping down after Sunday’s 4-2 defeat at Armenia in their Euro 2020 Group J qualifier. He however told reporters in Sarajevo that his change of heart had been a “difficult decision”. “It wasn’t easy because I try to stand by my decisions in life,” said the 50-year-old Croatian, who won the 1991 European Cup with Red Star Belgrade and finished third with Croatia in the 1998 World Cup as a player. “I changed my mind because of all the people who extended their support. It will be easy to run and say it’s over, but I decided to stay and I now hope we can turn things around.” The defeat left the Bosnians fourth in Group J on seven points from six games, 11 behind leaders Italy who have won all of their matches. Second-placed Finland have 12 points and third-placed Armenia are on nine after their impressive home win over the Bosnians. Although they have only a slim chance of reaching Euro 2020 by finishing in the top two in their group, Bosnia could still advance to the finals via the Nations League. They topped their League B group ahead of Austria and Northern Ireland. This means that they have qualified for the playoffs also including Denmark, Sweden and Ukraine, the winners of the second tier’s other three pools. The playoff winners will qualify for Euro 2020, which will be held across Europe next year. Reuters/NAN.Tags: Euro 2020European ChampionshipRed Star BelgradeRobert ProsineckiWorld Cup
Ghanaian midfielder Emmanuel Agyemang Badu says he intends to keep supporting the efforts to fight COVID-19 in Ghana until the disease is eradicated.Badu, who plays for Serie A club Hellas Verona, is in the midst of a strict lockdown in Italy which has been hit harder than most countries by the disease.Italy currently has 178,972 confirmed cases of the disease with 23,660 deaths so far a rise by about 10,000 cases and 1,500 deaths since Friday.Drawing from his experience in Italy, Badu says he knows how desperate the situation globally is and says he intends to do everything he can to support the efforts in his home country.“I’m in the middle of this pandemic here in Italy, so I know how people are struggling and suffering. This is the time for me to help.”He stated that he has donated some PPE to hospitals in Kumasi and Berekum and has also made some items available to the police as well.“I bought some masks, gloves and sanitizers for a hospital in Kumasi – the women and children’s ward. And I played in Berekum for a long time, so I bought some for the hospitals there, and for the police and Muslim community.”“And in the village I was born, I donated a lot of stuff to the police and the hospitals. They’re saying prevention is better than cure, so I wanted them to have these things to be safe and be very careful of this dangerous virus.”Ghana currently has 1,042 confirmed cases with nine deaths but a three-week lockdown which was imposed to curb the spread has since been lifted.Badu insists that he will continue to send more items to the country in order to help contain the spread.“The numbers are increasing, so next week I need to send some more stuff to hospitals. We will keep doing it until we see this virus is gone. I am in the middle of it here and I know how much I’m struggling here so we all need to help and take care of people in Africa.”A number of other Ghanaian players have donated to the efforts as well including Inter Milan player Kwadwo Asamoah.The Ghana Football Association has also offered the Ghanaman facility for use as an isolation centre.