Seasonal fluctuations in microbial activity in Antarctic moss peat

first_imgThe Signy Island terrestrial reference sites epitomize unpolluted maritime Antarctic tundra. The extreme transition from the harsh Antarctic winter to the milder summer facilitates studies of the effects of freeze-thaw cycles on microbial activity in moss peat. Seasonal monitoring of peat oxygen uptake showed a transient spring peak at c. 0oC, attributed to microbial utilization of dissolved organic carbon (DOC). After a more gradual temperature-linked summer increase, autumnal freeze-thaw cycles stimulated a final pre-winter peak. The transient climaxes were associated with blooms of saccharolytic yeasts and microfungi. The bacterial population stabilized after a spring increase but then diversified as DOC became rate-limiting. Effects of pre-monitored spring freeze-thaw cycles on late-winter peat cores were simulated in a Gilson respirometer. In vitro perturbations demonstrated the regulatory effects of DOC availability, water content and temperature on peat respiration and microflora! composition. Comparative respirometry and loss in tensile strength of interred cotton strips showed a difference in decomposer activity beneath a relatively dry Polytrichum-Chorisodontium turf and a wet Cattiergon-Cephalozielta carpet. This was associated with water content and anaerobiosis. Cellulolysis accelerated during the growing season and increased with depth, despite anaerobic conditions. Estimates of annual bryophyte decomposition are presented for use in an Antarctic ecosystem model.last_img read more

Double celebration for Northeast agency

first_imgA North East independent estate agency celebrated its first year in business in County Durham and 5,000 followers on Facebook.BeeMyHome marked the anniversary of its opening with a string of events, culminating in a celebration. Established in 2014 as an online-only lettings agency, four years on BeeMyHome has undergone an overwhelming transformation. From a striking rebrand to a revised marketing strategy, which uses innovative digital marketing tools to help its client’s properties stand out from the crowd, BeeMyHome quickly established itself as a forward-thinker in the property market.“It’s amazing to see how far we have come in such a short space of time,” said Victoria Valentine, Director. “Securing our premises in Chester-le-Street was a huge milestone for the business and is something we are extremely proud of so we wanted to celebrate its anniversary in style.“We couldn’t settle on just one idea on how to celebrate so instead, we held a number of smaller events, starting with a quirky ‘50 metre dachsh’ race between the staff’s three dachshunds which we filmed and uploaded to our Facebook page, and ending with a small party in the branch.“Many people think of property searching and just think of the stress that comes with it. We wanted to turn that perception on its head and turn finding a new home into the enjoyable experience it should be.” North East independent estate agency online agency BeeMyHome County Durham October 4, 2018The NegotiatorWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Home » News » Agencies & People » Double celebration for Northeast agency previous nextAgencies & PeopleDouble celebration for Northeast agencyThe Negotiator4th October 20180334 Viewslast_img read more

HMCS Niobe’s Anchor Found in Halifax

first_img View post tag: found View post tag: Naval View post tag: HMCS Niobe View post tag: Anchor An anchor, believed to have belonged to His Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Niobe, has been unearthed at HMC Dockyard in Halifax. HMCS Niobe was the first Canadian warship to enter Canada’s territorial waters, on October 21, 1910, a landmark event in the beginnings of the Naval Service of Canada.Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy, said:The discovery of one of HMCS Niobe’s anchors in Halifax Harbour just a week before proclaiming October 21st to be known and celebrated in the Royal Canadian Navy as Niobe Day is astonishing.This fantastic finding gives us a chance to reflect on our collective accomplishments since 1910, on the values in which we anchor our service as members of the profession of arms, and on what is required of us to ensure we continue to deliver excellence, both at sea and ashore, in the years to come. This is a true blessing and a rare opportunity to connect the dots between our forefathers and the next generations of sailors of the Royal Canadian Navy.The discovery of the roughly 900-kilo (2000-pound) anchor was made just days before the commemoration of Niobe Day, which will from now on, be celebrated annually by the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) on the 21st day of October. An excavation crew working at HMC Dockyard recovered an anchor and chain buried beneath a demolition site on the morning of October 14. The anchor has been inspected, assessed against relevant documents and photographs, and is now believed to be that of HMCS Niobe.The anchor was unearthed at former Jetty 4, where Building D-19, a Second World War dockside warehouse and one of the first structures at HMC Dockyard, once stood and is now being demolished. This work is part of the ongoing refurbishment of HMC Dockyard in preparation for the arrival of a new fleet of ships that will be delivered through the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy (NSPS) over the next decade and beyond.…Powered by Cincopa Video Hosting for Business solution.New Gallery 2014/10/21cameramake NIKON CORPORATIONheight 902orientation 1camerasoftware Adobe Photoshop CS4 originaldate 10/20/2014 4:31:29 PMwidth 1280cameramodel NIKON D3Scameramake NIKON CORPORATIONheight 782orientation 1camerasoftware Adobe Photoshop CS4 originaldate 10/20/2014 4:18:31 PMwidth 1280cameramodel NIKON D3Sheight 1542width 1921originaldate 1/1/0001 6:00:00 AMThe dimensions of the roughly 900-kilo (2000-pound) anchor are, 4 metres (13 feet) from crown to head, 4.1 metres (13.5 feet) across the stock, and 3.35 metres (11 feet) from bill to bill of the flukes. Additionally, each link of the anchor’s chain is 51 centimetres (20 inches) by 28 centimetres (11 inches) and weighs approximately 34 kilos (75 pounds).While still in the process of officially confirming this historic find, Mr. Richard Sanderson, Director at the Naval Museum of Halifax, has inspected the recovered anchor and believes it to have belonged to HMCS Niobe.The recovered anchor is of the Admiralty Pattern dating back to 1850, a very large Bower or Sheet anchor. The position of the anchor speaks to a particular time and function. The direction of the chain links is consistent with the position of the Niobe’s bow when employed as a depot ship and the size is consistent with an estimated size of the links of the Niobe’s anchor in a post-Halifax Explosion photo. While a list of stores left behind by the Royal Navy is not available, no vessels in the newly formed Royal Canadian Navy were large enough for this size anchor except for the Niobe, or possibly the Rainbow (based in Esquimalt, BC). Additionally there would have been no other use for a heavy chain and anchor at the discovery site, except to permanently moor a large vessel such as Niobe.HMCS Niobe was an 11,000-tonne armoured cruiser purchased by Canada from the Royal Navy (RN) and commissioned on September 16, 1910. The warship entered into Halifax Harbour on October 21, 1910, having steamed across the Atlantic from Portsmouth, England.Upon transfer to the Naval Service of Canada, HMCS Niobe, along with HMCS Rainbow, became the first two in a long and illustrious line of HMC ships and submarines that have served and continue to serve Canada with excellence at home and abroad.After she was paid off, Niobe functioned as a depot ship from July, 1915 until 1920 moored in Halifax Harbour. The Halifax Explosion on December 6, 1917, pulled the ship’s concrete embedded anchor from the harbour floor and dragged the ship. Once re-secured to Jetty 4, additional anchors were put in place including one to the shore from the stem and one from the stern. The anchor that has been discovered is believed to be one of these three bow anchors that were used to keep Niobe in place.[mappress mapid=”14133″]Press release, Image: Canadian Navy Back to overview,Home naval-today HMCS Niobe’s Anchor Found in Halifax Authorities View post tag: Canada HMCS Niobe’s Anchor Found in Halifax View post tag: Halifax October 21, 2014 View post tag: americas View post tag: Navy View post tag: News by topic Share this articlelast_img read more

Hertford joins Fairtrade wave

first_imgOxford University’s support for ethical trade gained ground this week after Hertford announced that it had officially become a Fairtrade College. It is the third Oxford college to be given Fairtrade status from the Fairtrade Foundation, after Linacre and Wadham. Motions of support for Fairtrade were passed by Hertford JCR, MCR and the governing body. The announcement is the culmination of a four-year project by Hertford members to win the status.The motion passed stated “That many colleges are currently working towards Fairtrade college status and that if two-thirds of colleges become Fairtrade colleges, Oxford becomes an official ‘Fairtrade university’.” The JCR resolved to ensure that “Fairtrade products…be  available at all catering outlets in college and that JCR members should be informed of the benefits of Fairtrade.”Mike Prater, the Hertford College JCR Fairtrade representative explained, “Fairtrade products guarantee developing country farmers a fair wage and ensure good standards of social welfare and environmental sustainability are upheld. We hope that Hertford getting Fairtrade status will act as a catalyst to encourage other Colleges to switch to Fairtrade.”In order to become a Fairtrade college, the Foundation sets five criteria. These include ensuring that Fairtrade products are stocked at all catering outlets around College as well as creating a Fairtrade steering group. To meet these criteria, Hertford sells Fairtrade tea, coffee, Divine chocolate and bananas in Hall and the JCR has since October 2006 sold Fairtrade Hertford Hoodies. The College also takes part in the Valentine’s Day Fairtrade chocolate delivery service whilst members have promoted Fairtrade products through food and wine tasting events. The first meeting of Hertford’s steering group occurred in Michaelmas term, with  Hertford’s Home Bursar Jo Roadknight and Bob Hart, the Hertford Catering Manager, in attendance. The Committee noted that Fairtrade products should be purchased even if they are marginally more expensive than non-Fairtrade products.Melissa Boulter, who seconded the Fairtrade motion, said, “I am really proud that Hertford has gained Fairtrade status and that our college has come together around something so positive. It is a small step towards a more equitable society. “It would be brilliant to see other colleges follow us and make a commitment to Fairtrade, through stocking more Fairtrade products and raising its awareness, so that more of the producers of the products we buy in the University can get a fairer wage.”by Rob Pomfret, Deputy News Editorlast_img read more

Is High School Equivalency Good Enough To Graduate?

first_imgFacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailShare Educators in two Marion County districts are pushing lawmakers to let schools count as graduates certain students now labeled as dropouts. But some experts say that move would lower the bar for Indiana students.Should lawmakers approve the measure, graduation counts in several districts would include students who pass a high school equivalency exam and take steps toward career training.The House education committee Wednesday is expected to discuss the proposal — a three-year pilot spanning four districts, including Washington and Warren Township schools. The program would add a new graduation option for qualifying students and no longer hold schools accountable for those students’ failure to earn a traditional diploma.It would target high schoolers who are entering their senior year with less than half of the credits needed to graduate. Supporters say that it’s better for students to leave with a high school equivalency, Indiana’s version of the GED, and a workforce credential than to walk away empty-handed.  “We’re trying to find that connection where we can reach these students,” said Lara Pastore, assistant supervisor of Washington Township Adult Education. “Everybody knows if a student leaves high school without any credential, their future is very very bleak.”Pastore, who brought the idea to lawmakers, said only about a quarter of those who don’t receive a high school diploma later return to school. And when students try to enroll in adult education after dropping out, they no longer get crucial wrap-around services, such as transportation and lunch.But the idea that schools would get credit for graduating a student who didn’t earn a diploma is cause for concern, said Russell Rumberger, a professor emeritus at the University of California – Santa Barbara, and who directs the California Dropout Research Project.“You want kids to be prepared for future work and college when they come out of high school,” Rumberger said. “If you dumb down the requirements you’re not really helping the students.”Rumberger rebuked the idea that passing a high school equivalency exam offers the same value as graduating high school, pointing to research that links a diploma to more job opportunities and higher annual earnings. Diploma-earners made $177 more a week in 2018 than those who didn’t graduate high school, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.The program also raised concerns about whether schools would quietly track students toward earning their equivalency rather than provide interventions earlier in high school.“If that’s a path that’s seen as legitimate, then there may be less incentive to really support students so they are graduating and getting a diploma,” said Elaine Allensworth, director of the University of Chicago Consortium on School Research.But Pastore said this program is meant to be an intervention, not a pathway. She sees this as a way to keep students from dropping out, even if they are unlikely to earn a traditional diploma. And she pointed to a recent Chalkbeat investigation that raised concerns over the number of students marked as “home-schoolers,” which experts say could be disguising students who are dropping out.As for how students have been allowed to fall this far behind, administrators in both Washington and Warren Township pointed to some factors beyond schools’ control, such as homelessness, sickness, and moving from school to school. This year 45 students at Warren Central High School would have qualified for the program, had the pilot been in place. Of those, eight transferred to the school this year.“At the end of the day, it is still going to be the student and their family that is struggling because of that breakdown, whether you want to pin it on high schools or someone else,” Pastore said. “I think if we know these students are there, we know we can give them this service and we know we can change their lives, I think that’s the real failure, to not do.”The Indiana Department of Education during recent testimony applauded the schools for “innovating,” but asked lawmakers not to tie high school equivalency to schools’ graduation rates. John Keller, an education department representative, pointed out that high school equivalency exams are not counted in the federal graduation rate. He also suggested capping the number of eligible students at 5% of the senior class, which lawmakers later added.Warren Township Superintendent Timothy Hanson said he would be interested in the program whether or not it impacted the graduation rate. But he argued that schools should receive some benefit for putting resources into the program. There is no state money tied to the pilot, meaning schools and adult education programs would need to allocate money from their own budgets or secure third-party funding to cover costs.Lawmakers showed early support for the pilot program. The measure passed unanimously through the Senate earlier this month.“When it was presented to me, I Ioved the program as a safety net for really those who have no chance at graduating,” said bill author Sen. Jeff Raatz, a Republican who chairs the Senate education committee. Is High School Equivalency Good Enough To Graduate?  Some Say “YES”center_img By Emma Kate Fitteslast_img read more

Detailed guide: Tier 4: Stay at Home

first_img (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (easy read) non-essential retail can reopen personal care services such as hairdressers and nail salons can reopen, including those provided from a mobile setting public buildings such as libraries and community centres can reopen outdoor hospitality venues can reopen, with table service only most outdoor attractions including zoos, theme parks, and drive-in performances (such as cinemas and concerts) can reopen some smaller outdoor events such as fetes, literary fairs, and fairgrounds can take place indoor leisure and sports facilities can reopen for individual exercise, or exercise with your household or support bubble all childcare and supervised activities are allowed indoors (as well as outdoors) for all children. Parent and child groups can take place indoors (as well as outdoors) for up to 15 people (children under 5 will not be counted in this number) weddings, civil partnership ceremonies, wakes and other commemorative events can take place for up to 15 people (anyone working is not included in this limit), including in indoor venues that are permitted to open or where an exemption applies. Wedding receptions can also take place for up to 15 people, but must take place outdoors, not including private gardens self-contained accommodation can stay open for overnight stays in England with your household or support bubble care home residents will be able to nominate two named individuals for regular indoor visits (following a rapid lateral flow test) you should continue to work from home if you can and minimise the amount that you travel where possible You can only use a childcare bubble for childcare and cannot use it to mix with another household for any other reason (for example to socialise). You have to meet certain eligibility rules to form a childcare bubble. See the separate guidance on childcare bubbles.Parent and child groupsParent and child groups can take place indoors as well as outdoors (but not in private homes or gardens) if they are for the benefit of children aged under 5 and organised by a business, charity or public body. This includes groups that are primarily focused on social and developmental activities.Parent and child groups must be limited to no more than 15 people. Children under five and anyone working or volunteering as part of the group, such as a group leader, are not counted in this number.Support groups which provide support functions for parents, carers, or their childrenSupport groups which provide support functions for parents, carers, or their children, such as breastfeeding or postnatal groups, which have to be delivered in person may continue to meet indoors, but must follow the same rules as other support groups. See the support groups section of this guidance.Providing care or assistanceYou can continue to gather in larger groups or meet indoors where this is reasonably necessary: PDF, 348KB, 36 pages If you’re in a support bubbleIf you are eligible to form a support bubble, you and your support bubble count as one household towards the limit of 2 households when meeting others outdoors. This means, for example, that you and your support bubble can meet with another household, even if the group is more than 6 people.Where you can meetYou can meet in a group of 6 or a larger group of any size from up to 2 households (including their support bubbles) outdoors. This includes private outdoor spaces, such as gardens, and other outdoor public places and venues that are open. These include the following: (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Farsi) You can also provide care or assistance for disabled or vulnerable people inside someone’s home, where necessary. However, you must only meet indoors or in a larger group where it is reasonably necessary to provide care or assistance. This means you cannot meet socially indoors with someone who is vulnerable unless they are in your household or support bubble, or another exemption applies.You should follow the guidance on how to stop the spread of coronavirus at all times. There is further guidance for those who provide unpaid care to friends or family.Support groupsSupport groups that have to be delivered in person can continue with up to 15 participants where officially organised to provide mutual aid, therapy or any other form of support. Support groups must be organised by a business, charity or public body and must not take place in a private home or garden. All participants should maintain social distancing. Examples of support groups include those that provide support to: Request an accessible format. Large print, easy read and translations for education, registered childcare, and supervised activities for children, see further information on education and childcare for arrangements where children do not live in the same household as both their parents or guardians to allow contact between birth parents and children in care, as well as between siblings in care for prospective adopting parents to meet a child or children who may be placed with them to place or facilitate the placing of a child or children in the care of another by social services for the purpose of managing childcare through a childcare bubble Those who are campaigning for a specific outcome in elections or referendums can carry out door-to-door campaigning activity in accordance with guidance on elections and referendums during COVID-19.You can gather in larger groups or meet indoors for gatherings within criminal justice accommodation or immigration detention centres.If you break the rulesThe police can take action against you if you meet in larger groups. This includes breaking up illegal gatherings and issuing fines (fixed penalty notices).You can be given a fixed penalty notice of £200 for the first offence, doubling for further offences up to a maximum of £6,400.You can be fined £800 if you go to a private indoor gathering such as a house party of over 15 people from outside your household, which will double for each repeat offence to a maximum level of £6,400.If you hold, or are involved in holding, an illegal gathering of over 30 people, the police can fine you £10,000.Care home visitsYou should check the guidance on visiting care homes during COVID-19 to find out how visits should be conducted. Residents must follow the national restrictions if they are having a visit out of the care home.There is separate guidance for people in supported living.Staying away from home overnightYou can stay overnight in a campsite, caravan, boat, second home, or other self-contained accommodation. This should only be with your household or support bubble. You must not stay overnight with anyone not in your household or support bubble, unless a legal exemption applies.Self-contained holiday accommodation may reopen. This is accommodation in which facilities are restricted to exclusive use of a single household/support bubble. Such facilities include: Keeping yourself and others safeSocial distancing is still very important. You should stay 2 metres apart from anyone who is not in your household or support bubble where possible, or 1 metre with extra precautions in place (such as wearing face coverings) if you cannot stay 2 metres apart.You should follow the guidance on how to stop the spread of coronavirus at all times, including if you have been vaccinated against COVID-19.You should follow this guidance in full to limit spreading COVID-19. It is underpinned by law.Face coveringsYou must wear a face covering in many indoor settings, such as shops and places of worship, and on public transport, unless you are exempt or have a reasonable excuse. This is the law. Read guidance on face coverings.If you are clinically extremely vulnerableIf you are clinically extremely vulnerable, you could be at higher risk of severe illness from coronavirus.If you are clinically extremely vulnerable, you are no longer advised to shield. However, you should continue to follow the guidance for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable and are advised to continue taking extra precautions to protect yourself. It is important that you continue to keep the number of social interactions that you have low and try to limit the amount of time you spend in settings where it is difficult to maintain social distancing.If you have been vaccinated against COVID-19To help protect yourself and your friends, family, and community you should continue to follow all of the guidance on this page even if you’ve been vaccinated against COVID-19.The vaccines have been shown to reduce the likelihood of severe illness in most people. Like all medicines, no vaccine is completely effective, so those who have received the vaccine should continue to take recommended precautions to avoid infection.We do not know by how much the vaccine stops COVID-19 from spreading. Even if you have been vaccinated, you could still spread COVID-19 to others.Asymptomatic testingRapid lateral flow testing is now available free to anybody without symptoms. You can get your tests from pharmacies, testing sites, employers, schools, colleges and universities.Find out more about how to get rapid lateral flow testsTesting twice a week will help make sure you don’t have COVID-19, reducing the risk to those around you.If you have symptoms you should continue to get a PCR test. If you’re not sure, you can find out which coronavirus test you should get.Meeting family and friends indoorsYou must not meet indoors with anybody you do not live with, unless you have formed a support bubble with them (if you are eligible), or another legal exemption applies.Meeting friends and family outdoors (rule of 6)You can meet up outdoors with friends and family you do not live with, either: kitchens sleeping areas bathrooms indoor communal areas such as lounges, sitting areas and any lifts, staircases or internal corridors for entry and exit into the accommodation parks, beaches, countryside accessible to the public, forests public and botanical gardens the grounds of a heritage site outdoor sculpture parks allotments public playgrounds outdoor sports venues and facilities outdoor hospitality venues outdoor attractions quarantine for 10 days in a managed quarantine hotel take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of quarantining, the tests are included in the hotel package follow the guidance on this page on your own in a group of up to 6 people in a larger group of any size from up to 2 households (and their support bubbles, if eligible) If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need aversion of this document in a more accessible format, please email [email protected] tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use. nanny cleaner tradesperson social care worker providing support to children and families Additional exemptionsThere are further reasonable excuses. For example, you may gather in larger groups or meet indoors: on recreational team sport on outdoor sport and recreation in England for providers of grassroots sports and gym and leisure facilities a British national an Irish national anyone with residence rights in the UK This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. to fulfil legal obligations to carry out activities related to buying, selling or moving house for the purpose of COVID-secure protests or picketing where the organiser has taken the required precautions, including completing a risk assessment where it is reasonably necessary to support voting in an election or referendum (such as vote counting or for legal observers). You can also take part in formally organised outdoor sports or licensed physical activity with any number of people. This must be organised by a business, charity or public body and the organiser must take the required precautions, including the completion of a risk assessment. You should avoid contact in training and, for some sports, avoid contact in all activities. Read the guidance on what avoiding contact means for your sport.Indoor leisure facilities may open for you to exercise on your own, or with your household or support bubble.You must not meet indoors for sport, except for: (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Hindi) This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Slovak) Further guidance on hotels and other guest accommodation is available for self-contained holiday accommodation that is able to reopen.A full list of reasons can be found in the guidance on closing certain businesses and venues in England.Travelling within EnglandYou should continue to minimise the amount you travel where possible. This means you should avoid making unnecessary trips and combine trips where possible.If you need to travel: (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Gujarati) The NHS continues to carry out urgent and non-urgent services safely. It is vital anyone who thinks they need any kind of medical care comes forward and gets help.The majority of public services will continue. These include: PDF, 346KB, 32 pages PDF, 9MB, 49 pages PDF, 300KB, 36 pages You should follow the guidance: PDF, 341KB, 32 pages You must follow the social contact rules when travelling in private vehicles. This means you must not share enclosed private vehicles with anyone from outside your household or your support bubble, unless an exemption exists, such as you are sharing the vehicle with someone working (e.g. a taxi). Where a vehicle is open air, you must follow the outdoor gathering limits.There is additional guidance on safer travel, including on the safe use of public transport.Travelling within the UK, the Republic of Ireland and the Channel IslandsTravelling to EnglandAcross the different parts of the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man), there may be rules in place that restrict travel to England.You should check the restrictions in place where you intend to travel from before making arrangements to travel.Provided you are permitted to travel from another part of the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man), you may enter England and are not required to quarantine on arrival. If you do travel to England, you must follow the restrictions on what you can and cannot do.Travelling from EnglandAcross the different parts of the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man), there may be rules in place that restrict travel from England. You do not need a reasonable excuse to leave England to travel to other parts of the UK, Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland. You should check the restrictions in place where you intend to travel to before making arrangements to travel.Travelling to or from Northern IrelandCurrently in Northern Ireland it is against the law to leave home without a reasonable excuse. Those arriving into Northern Ireland from another part of the Common Travel Area are asked to self-isolate for 10 days upon arrival. There are a number of exemptions to this request.Travelling to or from ScotlandNon-essential travel between Scotland and the rest of the UK, and the wider Common Travel Area, remains restricted. This means it is illegal to enter or leave Scotland unless you have a reasonable excuse. Travelling for a holiday is not a reasonable excuse. The guidance provides advice on reasonable excuses to travel to and from Scotland.Travelling to or from WalesThere are no restrictions in place for travel into or out of Wales as long as you are travelling within the UK or wider Common Travel Area (the Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man). Across the different parts of the Common Travel Area, there may be rules in place that restrict travel from Wales. You do not need a reasonable excuse to leave Wales to travel to other parts of the UK, Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland. You should check the restrictions in place where you intend to travel to before making arrangements to travel. The guidance provides advice on travelling to and from Wales.International travelTravelling internationally from EnglandYou can only travel internationally from England where you have a reasonable excuse to leave the UK, such as work. International holidays are not permitted.Some jobs qualify for exemptions for certain travel related requirements, such as self isolation and testing. See guidance on which jobs and circumstances qualify for travel exemptions.If you do need to travel overseas (and have a reasonable excuse to do so), you are required to complete a mandatory outbound ‘Declaration to Travel’ form unless an exemption applies to you. You must state your reasons for travel on the form before leaving the UK.You should also consider the public health advice in the country you are visiting. You should look at the rules in place at your destination and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel advice. You should do this even if you are returning to a place you’ve visited before.Travelling to England from outside the UKAll visitors to England are subject to the coronavirus restriction rules.People planning to travel to England should follow the guidance on entering the UK. Before travelling to the UK, you must complete a passenger locator form and have proof of a negative COVID-19 test result, unless you are exempt.All arrivals will need to take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test on day 2 and day 8 of quarantining. Arrivals must book a travel test package. See the guidance on how to quarantine when you arrive in England.You cannot travel to the UK if you’ve visited or passed through a country where travel to the UK has been banned in the last 10 days, unless you’re: Driving lessons and learning to driveDriving tests and driving lessons may resume. Further guidance on learning to drive during coronavirus is available.You will be able to restart: car driving lessons car and trailer driving lessons large goods vehicle (LGV) training driving instructor training The following types of tests will restart: Find out more about the red list travel ban countriesEveryone allowed to enter England who has visited or passed through a country where travel to the UK has been banned in the last 10 days must: PDF, 328KB, 29 pages disability sport sports with your household or support bubble sports as part of the curriculum in education supervised sport and physical activity for under-18s (including those who were under 18 on 31 August 2020), this should be limited to 15 participants PDF, 373KB, 36 pages (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Polish) victims of crime (including domestic abuse) those with, or recovering from, addictions (including alcohol, narcotics or other substance addictions) or addictive patterns of behaviour those with, or caring for people with, any long-term illness or terminal condition or who are vulnerable (including those with a mental health condition) those facing issues related to their sexuality or identity (including those living as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender) those who have suffered bereavement vulnerable young people (including to enable them to meet youth workers) disabled people and their carers (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Punjabi Gurmukhi) theory tests motorcycle tests LGV driving tests car and trailer driving tests PDF, 235KB, 35 pages If you need to enter through a house to get to a garden or other outside space and there is no alternative access, you should wear a face covering, wash or sanitise your hands when entering, and then go straight to the outside space. If you need to use the bathroom, wash your hands thoroughly and go back outside immediately. You should maintain social distancing from anyone who is not in your household or support bubble, and hosts should follow fresh air (ventilation) guidance.When you can meet with more people or meet indoorsGatherings above the limit of 6 people or 2 households outdoors, or any gatherings indoors, can only take place if they are permitted by an exemption. These exemptions are listed on this page.This means, for example, a tradesperson can go into a household without breaking the limit if they are there for work, and the officiant at a wedding would not count towards the limit.Support and childcare bubblesYou have to meet certain eligibility rules to form a support or childcare bubble. This means not everyone will be able to form a bubble. See the separate guidance on support bubbles and childcare bubbles.You can only use a childcare bubble for childcare. You cannot use a childcare bubble to mix with another household for any other reason. This means you cannot use a childcare bubble to meet socially with another household.Going to workYou should continue to work from home where you can.If you cannot work from home you should continue to travel to your workplace. You do not need to be classed as a critical worker to go to work if you cannot work from home.Employers and employees should discuss their working arrangements, and employers should take every possible step to facilitate their employees working from home, including providing suitable IT and equipment to enable remote working. Where people cannot work from home, employers should take steps to make their workplaces COVID-19 secure and help employees avoid busy times and routes on public transport. Extra consideration should be given to those people at higher risk.COVID-secure guidelines are available for sectors across the economy to substantially reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.See guidance for reopening businesses and venuesMeeting others for workYou can gather in larger groups or meet indoors where it is necessary for your work. This does not include social gatherings with work colleagues.Working in other people’s homesWhere it is reasonably necessary for you to work in other people’s homes you can continue to do so, for example if you’re a: walk or cycle where possible you must not share a car with anyone from outside your household or your support bubble, unless your journey is made for an exempt reason plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport regularly wash or sanitise your hands wear a face covering on public transport, unless you’re exempt stay 2 metres apart from people you do not live with where possible, or 1 metre with extra precautions in place (such as wearing face coverings or increasing ventilation indoors) (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Urdu) PDF, 328KB, 32 pages Request an accessible format. (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Bengali) 12 April: What’s changedSome of the rules on what you can and cannot changed on 12 April. However, many restrictions remain in place. You must not socialise indoors with anyone you do not live with, unless you have formed a support bubble with them, or another exemption applies. You should continue to work from home if you can and minimise the number of journeys you make where possible. You should get a test and follow the stay at home guidance if you have COVID-19 symptoms.You can read the ‘COVID-19 Response – Spring 2021’ (the roadmap) for more information on how COVID-19 restrictions will be eased in England. It is underpinned by law.From 12 April: You should follow the guidance on working in other people’s homes.Where a work meeting does not need to take place in a private home or garden, it should not.If you are clinically extremely vulnerable or live with someone who is clinically extremely vulnerableIf you have been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable then you should continue to work from home where possible. If you cannot work from home, you can go to your workplace. Your employer is required to take steps to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 in the workplace and should be able to explain to you the measures they have put in place to keep you safe at work. Some employers may introduce regular testing of employees as part of these measures. You may also want to consider how you get to and from work, for example, if it is possible to avoid using public transport during rush hour.If you live with someone who is clinically extremely vulnerable then you can continue to go to work if you are unable to work from home.You should follow the guidance on how to stop the spread of coronavirus, including what to do to reduce your risk of catching or passing on the virus at home.If you are worried about going in to work or you cannot workThere is guidance if you need to self-isolate or cannot go to work due to coronavirus and what to do if you’re employed and cannot work.Citizens Advice has advice if you’re worried about working, including what to do if you think your workplace is not safe, or if you live with someone vulnerable.Support is available if you cannot work, for example if you need to care for someone or you have less work.There is further advice for employers and employees from ACAS (the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service).Going to school or collegeSchool pupils and students in further education should go to school and college.All schools, colleges and other further education settings are open for face-to-face teaching during term time. It remains very important for children and young people to attend, to support their wellbeing and education and to help working parents and guardians.Clinically extremely vulnerable pupils and students should go to school or college.There is further guidance on what parents need to know about early years providers, schools and colleges during COVID-19.Rapid lateral flow testing is now available for free for everyone in England. It is recommended for all secondary school pupils and college students, their families and all school and college staff.See the guidance on how you can get regular rapid tests if you do not have symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19).Universities and higher educationStudents in university and other higher education settings undertaking practical and practice based courses who require specialist equipment and facilities can go to in-person teaching and learning where reasonably necessary. Providers should not ask students to return if their course can reasonably be continued online.All other students should continue to learn remotely and remain where they’re living until in-person teaching starts again, wherever possible. Following a review, the government has announced that in-person teaching and learning should resume for all students alongside Step 3, which will take place no earlier than 17 May.Students who have returned to higher education settings, including university, should not move back and forward between their permanent home and student home during term time, unless they meet one of the exemptions.Higher education students who have moved to university accommodation will be able to return to a non-term residence before 29 April 2021, if they wish to. This will allow university students to return to a family or other address for the holidays. However, in order to minimise the risk of spreading COVID-19, students should remain in their term time accommodation where possible, especially those students who returned to campus from 8 March. Students should take a test before they travel.There is guidance for universities and students starting and returning to higher education.Students should follow the guidance on how to stop the spread of COVID-19 at all times.ChildcareAll children can go to registered childcare, childminders, wraparound care and other supervised children’s activities indoors and outdoors.Parent and child groups can take place indoors as well as outdoors, with restrictions on numbers attending. See the parent and child groups section of this guidance.Meeting others for childcarePeople can continue to gather indoors or in larger groups outdoors where this is reasonably necessary: PDF, 365KB, 38 pages The limit of 15 does not include children under 5 who are accompanying a parent or guardian. Gatherings above the limit can take place where reasonably necessary for work or volunteering. Where a group includes someone covered by an exception (for example, someone who is working or volunteering to facilitate the group), they are not generally counted as part of the gatherings limit.Exercise, sport and physical activityYou can do unlimited exercise outdoors but there are limits on the number of people you can exercise with. It can be either: (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Arabic) (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (large print) dental services opticians audiology services chiropody chiropractors osteopaths other medical or health services, including services relating to mental health See the guidance on booking and staying in a quarantine hotel when you arrive in EnglandAdvice for visitors and foreign nationals in EnglandForeign nationals are subject to the national restrictions.If you are visiting the UK, you may return home. You should check whether there are any restrictions in place at your destination.Moving homeYou can still move home. People outside your household or support bubble should not help with moving house unless reasonably necessary.Estate and letting agents and removals firms can continue to work. If you are looking to move, you can go to property viewings.Follow the national guidance on moving home safely, which includes advice on social distancing, letting fresh air in, and wearing a face covering.Financial supportWherever you live, you may be able to get financial help.See further information on business support and financial support if you’re off work because of coronavirus.Businesses and venuesTo reduce social contact, some businesses must remain closed or follow restrictions on how they provide goods and services. You can read the full list of businesses required to remain closed in England.There is further guidance on reopening businesses and venues which explains which business will be permitted to open at each step of the roadmap.From 12 April, further venues will be permitted to open. Unless a specific exemption exists, you must only visit these as a single household or bubble indoors, or in a group of 6 people or 2 households outdoors.Outdoor areas at hospitality venues (cafes, restaurants, bars, pubs, social clubs, including in members’ clubs) can reopen. Hospitality venues can also provide takeaway alcohol. These venues may allow customers to use an inside bathroom and customers can order and pay indoors. At any premises serving alcohol, customers will be required to order, be served and eat/drink while seated (“table service”). Venues will be prohibited from providing smoking equipment such as shisha pipes, for use on the premises.Outdoor attractions at venues such as animal attractions, theme parks, and skating rinks will also be permitted to reopen. A full list can be found here. This does not include outdoor cinemas and theatres, which will be limited to drive-in performances only. When going to these events, you must not share your vehicle with anyone outside your household or support bubble, unless there is an exemption, such as for providing care to a vulnerable person or for work purposes.Businesses which are allowed to re-open that operate in otherwise closed attractions (such as a gift shop or a takeaway kiosk at an indoor museum) may only open where they are a self-contained unit and can be accessed directly from the street.Personal care services (including those provided from a mobile setting), indoor sports facilities, self-contained accommodation, and public buildings (such as community centres) may also reopen.Businesses eligible to host childcare and supervised activities for children will now be able to host these activities (including sport) for all children, regardless of circumstances.Healthcare and public servicesThe NHS and medical services remain open, including: PDF, 369KB, 26 pages Elite sportspeopleElite sportspeople (or those on an official elite sports pathway) can meet in larger groups or meet indoors to compete and train. They can be joined by their coaches if necessary, or their parents and guardians if they’re under 18.Funerals and linked commemorative eventsFunerals are allowed with limits on attendance, and must only take place in COVID-secure venues or in public outdoor places. The venue manager or event organiser must take the required precautions, including the completion of a risk assessment.Funerals can be attended by a maximum of 30 people and may take place indoors. Linked religious or belief-based commemorative events, such as wakes, stone settings and ash scatterings can also continue with up to 15 people in attendance.Anyone working is not counted in these limits. Social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.There is guidance for arranging or going to a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic.Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies and receptionsNo more than 15 people (of any age) can be at a wedding, civil partnership ceremony or reception. Anyone working is not counted in these limits. Social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.There is further guidance for small marriages and civil partnerships.Places of worshipYou can go to places of worship for a service. When a service is taking place indoors you must not mingle with anyone outside of your household or support bubble. You should maintain social distancing at all times, staying 2 metres apart from anyone who is not in your household or support bubble.When a service is taking place outdoors, you must not mingle in groups larger than 6, except for groups from up to 2 households (a household can include an existing support bubble, if eligible). You should maintain strict social distancing from other groups and households at all times.You should follow the national guidance on the safe use of places of worship.Volunteering and charitable servicesYou can gather above the limit of 6 people or 2 households, or gather indoors, where this is reasonably necessary in order to provide voluntary or charitable services.You should follow the guidance on Volunteering during coronavirus (COVID-19).Other circumstances where you can gather in groups of more than six people or two householdsMaternityYou can be indoors with someone who is giving birth or receiving treatment in hospital. You should check the relevant hospital’s visiting policies. There is further NHS guidance on pregnancy and coronavirus.Avoiding injury or harmYou can gather in larger groups or indoors to provide emergency assistance, and to avoid injury or illness, or to escape a risk of harm (including domestic abuse).Compassionate visitsYou can gather in larger groups or indoors, with people outside your household or support bubble, to: Jobcentre Plus sites courts and probation services civil registrations offices passport and visa services services provided to victims of crime waste or recycling centres getting an MOT in a group of up to 6 from any number of households (children of all ages count towards the limit of 6) in a group of any size from up to two households (each household can include an existing support bubble, if eligible) (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Punjabi Shahmukhi) visit someone who is dying visit someone in a care home (if permitted under care home guidance), hospital or hospice to accompany a family member or close friend to a medical appointment. PDF, 282KB, 33 pages PDF, 262KB, 32 pages (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Welsh) If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need aversion of this document in a more accessible format, please email [email protected] tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use. PDF, 331KB, 33 pages (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do (Somali) to visit people in your support bubble (if you are legally permitted to form one) to provide informal childcare for children aged 13 or under as part of a childcare bubble (for example, to enable parents to work, not to enable socialising between adults) to provide emergency assistance to go to a support group of up to 15 participants, the limit of 15 does not include children under 5 who are accompanying a parent or guardian for respite care where that care is being provided to a vulnerable person or a disabled person, or is a short break in respect of a looked-after child to provide care or assistance for disabled or vulnerable people, including shopping for essential items and accessing services on their behalflast_img read more

Shumlin names Peterson as Tax Commissioner, Duffy to be HR Commissioner and Ide to stay at DMV

first_imgGovernor-elect Peter Shumlin today announced the appointments of Vermont’s next Tax Commissioner, Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and Commissioner of Human Resources. Mary Peterson will be Tax Commissioner, Kate Duffy will be Commissioner of Human Resources and Robert Ide will remain as Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.‘Mary has the skills and experience to ensure that we implement a tax system that grows wealth and grows jobs,’ said Shumlin. ‘I am grateful that she has agreed to take on this important challenge.’YouTube Video courtesy of (story and more videos)Mary Peterson served six years (2002-2008) in the Vermont House of Representatives. She was Clerk of the Ways & Means Committee for all three terms, involved in numerous major tax bills in that time. Prior to serving in the House, she was Chair of the Williston Selectboard, and also served on the Board of Directors of the Vermont League of Cities and Towns. She returned to private legal practice in 2008 with the Burlington firm of Spink & Miller, having worked previously as an attorney with the Department of Public Service and a Boston, Massachusetts, law firm. As commissioner, Mary’s salary will be approximately $85,000.‘I am honored that Rob has agreed to stay on as Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles,’ said Shumlin. ‘Rob is a 7th generation Vermonter and long time small business owner who has successfully brought his business skills to state government.’Robert Ide is currently the Commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles. He is a graduate of Danville High School, Vermont Technical College, and the University of Vermont. He was employed in his family’s feed and grain business in St. Johnsbury, where he was President of the corporation during the divestiture of the Ide family feed stores. In 1992, Rob was elected to the Vermont State Senate, a position he held until March of 2003 when he resigned his Senate seat in order to accept the appointment as Vermont’s Director of Energy Efficiency in the administration of Governor Douglas. In June 2008, Rob transferred from the Department of Public Service to head the Rail Division of the Vermont Agency of Transportation. And, on August 18, 2009, he started his tenure as Vermont’s Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. As Commissioner of the DMV, Rob’s salary will be approximately $91,000.‘As Deputy Commissioner of Human Resources, Kate has done a fantastic job and I am thrilled that she will now be taking on the role of Commissioner,’ said Shumlin. ‘Kate’s expertise and knowledge of state government will be critical in this difficult economic time as we work to boost the morale of state workers and ensure they can fulfill their duties to Vermonters.’Kate is currently the Deputy Commissioner of Human Resources. Prior to this, she was Vermont’s Assistant Attorney General from 2004 until 2010. Kate attended George Washington Law School and resides in Williston. As Commissioner of Human Resources, Kate’s salary will be approximately $82,000.last_img read more

Happy Friday the 13th: The mystery of negative framing

first_img ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr I’ve always been drawn to the intrigue of mystery, thrillers, and the intersections of life when the world goes a bit dark. I love “Silence of the Lambs,” I’ve read most of James Patterson’s Alex Cross series, and I can’t wait for Halloween to arrive so we can visit a haunted house or two. That makes it lots of fun when Friday the 13th rolls around. Today, on this Friday the 13th, I woke up thinking less about darkness we might seek out for fun, and more about the darkness that each of our minds can create with negative framing.I recently had a few business trips for speaking engagements. During my time at the Filene Research Institute, I used to travel weekly. In my role at Canvas, I am not traveling nearly as much as I once was. While traveling can be taxing, when I traveled a lot, I had a routine that was fairly well-tuned. I packed well. My parking or Ubering was finely honed. When things went awry with flights, I had a good sense of when to respond, how to respond, and how to navigate the inner workings of the airlines. I’m a little rusty (and gladly so).When I landed at home in Denver after a trip two weeks ago, I moved quickly through the airport. I am a big believer in not checking a bag, so I was able to head straight to the parking garage. Despite not traveling a lot, I have very quickly fallen into a new routine when I do fly. I park in generally the same area each time. Without much thought, I headed out the door to find my car. I was so excited to see my daughter, MacKenzie, and my heart beat quickly, thinking about having dinner with her and hearing about her day. continue reading »last_img read more

‘Indonesia won’t be military base for any country’, Retno says, dismissing Pentagon report

first_imgForeign Minister Retno LP Marsudi has asserted that Indonesia will not be the military base for any foreign country, including China, following a report from the United States’ Department of Defense that states China is planning to build an overseas military logistics facility in Indonesia.“I want to emphasize that, in accordance with the lines and principles of Indonesian foreign policy, Indonesian territory cannot and will not be used as a military facility base for any country,” Retno said during a press briefing on Friday.“I repeat, Indonesian territory cannot and will not be used as a military facility base for any country.” Previously, the US Department of Defense released its annual report titled Military and Security Developments Involving the People’s Republic of China 2020.The report was mandated to US Congress as an authoritative assessment on military and security developments involving China.Read also: Thawing out Cold War declaration, ASEAN sets stance in great powers rivalryIt analyzes the contours of China’s national strategy, its approach to security and military affairs and potential changes in China’s armed forces over the next 20 years.“Beyond its current base in Djibouti, the PRC [People’s Liberation Army] is very likely already considering and planning for additional overseas military logistics facilities to support naval, air and ground forces,” the report says.“The PRC has likely considered locations for PLA military logistics facilities in Myanmar, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates, Kenya, Seychelles, Tanzania, Angola and Tajikistan.”China, according to the report, is seeking to establish a more robust overseas logistics and basing infrastructure to allow the PLA to project and sustain military power at greater distances.Topics :last_img read more

Homes selling fast in popular Brisbane street

first_imgThe McCormack family, Mick and Kelly with children, Ruby, 4 Ava, 2 and Lachlan (11 weeks) outside their home at 27 Main Ave Wilston. Picture: Mark Cranitch.MAYBE it’s the convenience of having Wilston Village just around the corner.Maybe it’s the friendly neighbours, the wide, welcoming street or the walking distance to schools.Whatever it is, there’s something about Main Avenue in the usually tightly-held, inner northern suburb of Wilston that’s whipping up a buying frenzy.One agent in the area has sold four homes in the street in just the past four months – all for over $1 million.Garry Jones of McGrath Estate Agents said there had been a surge of interest in the street since Spring.“Wilston Village is literally at the end of the street and it’s walking distance to local schools, which is a huge drawcard for the Wilston catchment,” he said.“It’s a bit of a coincidence, but it’s not uncommon when one property has sold for a great result for it to generate further activity in a street. “It becomes a hotspot of attention and other local property owners often capitalise on the momentum.” GET THE LATEST REAL ESTATE NEWS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX HERE One of those property owners is Kelly McCormack, who admits she and her husband are reluctant to say goodbye to their home at 27 Main Avenue after five years.The four bedroom, two-storey Queenslander was snapped up just six days after listing.The house was originally put up for auction early last year but didn’t attract anywhere near the same level of interest.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this homeless than 1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor7 hours ago“We only had two open homes before it sold and 34 couples came for the first one,” she said. “The area seems to be really hot and lots of people are trying to get into it.”Marian Thomas says she will also miss living in the street.“It’s a beautiful wide street and it’s handy, so close to everything,” she said.“We had the best neighbours.“I reckon people only leave because of work or lifestyle commitments.”She recently sold her five bedroom house at 30 Main Avenue for $1.75 million as she and her family are moving interstate.“We’d just come to a point in our lives when it was time to move on,” she said.Mr Jones said there had been a lot of interest from buyers in Sydney and Melbourne.“Brisbane represents much better value for long-term family lifestyles,” he said.last_img read more